Traditionally a kilt was made with 8 yards of pure wool tartan so that it would have deep pleats and a weight of fabric which would swing beautifully when marching. This 8 yard kilt is still made in the same traditional way, to your measurements and in your choice of tartan (shown above is Isle of Skye Modern). Our kilt makers here in Scotland have the experience you can rely on to produce a kilt you will be proud to wear. This is the benchmark kilt all others are measured against, and is the one which would be handed down from one generation to another.
If you are ordering your first customised kilt, don’t worry, we have a Measuring Guide to help you. As a kilt is worn higher on the waist than trousers, it’s important that you read the guide thoroughly and follow the advice for measuring. Our kilt-makers will work to your sizes, so it’s worth taking time to get it right. This will make sure your kilt fits perfectly.
Understandably with a customised item, there are many decisions to make. After choosing your tartan, you then have to decide which weight of fabric to choose. The 13oz cloth is very popular nowadays, particularly with young men new to kilt-wearing. However, if you’re a traditional kilt enthusiast, you will most likely want to go up to a 16oz weight or even an 18oz option. This is the kilt you see at a Highland wedding, worn by men who value tradition and heritage.
You have a choice of how to have your kilt pleated – to the Sett, to the Stripe or Box Pleating. The most common is to the Sett, which gives your kilt the same check pattern front and back. Pleating to the Stripe places a vertical stripe from the tartan in the centre of each pleat, so you also have to choose which stripe to highlight, and the back will then look striped while the front is checked. Both these pleats are knife pleats, all facing the same direction, whereas box pleating doubles the cloth under from both sides of the pleat. This is rarely done except on military kilts. See our page on Kilt Pleating for full information and photos.
Whichever style of pleating you prefer, you can then have your kilt machine or hand stitched. This is very much a personal opinion and there is some debate about it, so we suggest that if you feel strongly that the traditional hand stitching is important, then you will happily choose that option. But we also feel if you want to take the more modern route of machine stitching, that’s fine too. No kilt is totally machine stitched, there’s always some hand stitching too.
We recommend ordering flashes in the same tartan (if you want them) when you place your order for your kilt. Tartan is ordered by the yard and so it’s easy to add a little extra for flashes at the same time, but it may not be easy to get that same tartan later on.
Our final recommendation is that you order a Kilt Hanger (not just because you get it cheaper!) as it’s the best way we know of to store your kilt in your wardrobe. But if you need any help or advice, we’re expert at everything related to kilts, so do contact us and we’ll be happy to help.
Made to measure 8 yard pure wool kilt
Hand made by experienced kilt makers in Scotland
Large choice of cloths available from a number of mills - choose a tartan to update the price (Please note only 13oz ,16oz or 18oz fabric available for a kilt)
Pleated to the sett or the stripe
Largely machine stitched (some parts have to be hand stitched) with optional full hand stitching
100% cotton lining for comfort when wearing
- 2 belt loops at rear of kilt, cut and sewn to match tartan pattern behind them
3 leather straps to secure/tighten kilt
Straps allow kilt to expand by roughly 1.5" above or below stated size (hand stitched kilts allow 2-3" above stated size)
Kilts with a seat size of 46"+ will be made with 9 yards and upwards of fabric
Optional flashes made from the same cloth as the kilt
Not sure if this is the kilt for you? Read our guide on How to find your perfect kilt.
Full details of kilt pleating here.
If you need more information, visit our help pages to find out All About Kilts.
Please read our measuring guide for full details of how to measure yourself accurately.
This kilt is custom made for you and so will take 4 - 7 weeks to be made before being dispatched. This can vary at different times of the year, so if you have a date in mind, please contact us and we'll do our best to help.
|Weight Including Packaging (kg)||1.5000|
|Composition||100% Woven wool|
- Excellent quality and superexcellent service Review by Anatoly
- Just received my kilt and it's excellent. The quality is very high and the attention to details is impressive. But what pleased me even more is the highest quality of service. I had to change my delivery address from country to country a couple of times and Rachel was always there for me, always helpful and attentive. I think she even cared more about me getting my kilt in time and safely than I did :) Now for me there's only one place where I will buy kilts and accessories – and it's buyakilt.com (Posted on 26/03/2014)
- Stunning Ancient Mackenzie Kilt custom made Review by Clive
- I must congratulate McDonald Sporrans the service is fantastic. I ordered my custom made wool kilt and I would like to thank Rachel and Samantha for their prompt help at all times. When the kilt arrived it just looks stunning and it fits very well no complaints. No problem recommending anyone and no doubt I will return to order more items in the future. (Posted on 11/03/2014)
- Great communications - some minor hiccoughs Review by Don Gingrich
Buying a kilt can be a learning experience. Depending on your tartan, it may take a wee bit longer than expected. Who'd have thought that the tartan mills shut down for Summer holidays?
The good news is that Rachel kept me in the loop, warning me about the delays. And, working with me when I changed the tartan, (after the order, but before it had been ordered from the mill.) I am now the proud owner of a kilt in House of Edgar MacGregor Ancient tartan -- I'd have to say that the image on the site did not do justice to the colour of the tartan. It's simply stunning.
Thanks again to all -- it was worth the wait.
My advice to others is to get in early and to check the availability of the tartan that you want. And ask for help if you aren't sure, they're a great bunch here. (Posted on 14/10/2013)
- Even better than I hoped Review by Shaun McCarthy
I have never worn a kilt - I am from South London! - but my name does have a tartan. I have always admired the guys at the Edinburgh Festival wearing jeans with hiking boots, t-shirt, leather jacket - and a kilt. So I decided to try it for myself.
Go for a proper traditional eight yard kilt as I did, do it properly. I am somewhat used to anything purchased on line being either just as it should be (like, say a boxed electrical item) or really a bit disappointing. How wonderful; to get a bespoke product that exceeds all expectations! A beautifully made kilt, wonderful accessories. An absolute joy. Fabulous material that hangs perfectly straight out of the box..
Right, it's Saturday night. I live in Bristol, hardly a tartan city. So out into the streets with friends in me kilt! Knowing I have a really top rate product. Worth every penny! (Posted on 12/10/2013)
- Proud of my new kilt Review by Keith Morrison
An excellent product very happy with it. Bought the plaid and flashes at the same time.
My thanks to Rachel and Sam for all their help. (Posted on 17/09/2013)
- Brilliant Service Review by IS McQUILLIAN
- Well pleased with my kilt .Many thanks to all concerned in manufacture and delivery (Thank you AURORA'S ENCORE) (Posted on 22/05/2013)
- Excellent service Review by Linda Power
We live in Saudi Arabia and wanted kilt outfit as a surprise for my husband's birthday. Would only be home for a limited time, contacted Macdonald Sporrans and explained and immediately got a reply from Rachel who put my mind at ease, gave her a delivery date and the kilt arrived right on that date. Absolutely impressed with the beautiful kilt outfit and the excellent service I received.
Oh and husband was over the moon with his outfit. Thank you. (Posted on 11/04/2011)
- Another fine fling Review by Nick Pinkham
- Just received my second kilt from Macdonald Sporrans and I'm delighted with the quality, attention to detail and friendly and reliable service - what a team!! easily described as 'marginally better than perfect' (Posted on 24/01/2011)
- A first rate service Review by Alastair Christie
- A first rate service. Not only have I received a well made, top quality custom kilt from Macdonald Sporrans, on time from a helpful courier - I have been deeply impressed by their help and advice, which have all been focused on making sure I have purchased the right product with the correct measurements. I'd happily recommend the company to anyone, and will undoubtedly return for other items in the future! (Posted on 02/07/2010)